Friday, June 28, 2013

Making Music History

This week two notable releases were announced. Both were releases that I played a part in. Of course, I'm absolutely proud beyond belief when these projects are announced by media. These are situations I never could have invented for myself, yet I'm finding myself involved in the process of creating these pieces.

1. Bill Nace and Kim Gordon's Body/Head record, Coming Apart, is coming out on Matador. Read about it here. I'd worked with them in the past, and have written about it. This record will draw you in. It's beautiful, intense, and truly a masterpiece.

2. The Pixies released Bagboy. Black Francis and a friend came in last summer, nearly one year ago, to work on demos for "the old band's new record" -- and this song was one (of 9) that we spent a lot of time on. We tried different drum beats, edits, tempos, guitar tracks, etc.. What we came up with was not a far cry from what has been released, and a lot of what we recorded was used in the final mix.

So.. like I said.. I'm very proud to have been a part of these projects.. But it's funny because when we're actually working in the studio, I don't have these feelings.. the need to pinch myself, or any of that. I am working. My priority is to accomplish the goals the artist has set for the time we have together in the studio, and to make sure he or she is comfortable in doing these pursuits. It's really that simple. This is the case with every client and every project I work on.

Mostly, I'm proud to have a career doing something that I love. It's very gratifying to wake up and read an article about a record that I helped make. Sometimes it makes my dream job a reality.

Here are some other artists that are about to or just have released their most recent recordings:

Bring it to Bear - Too Many Books out now

Speedy Ortiz - Major Arcana out July 9th (preorder now!)
 
Aye Nako - Unleash Yourself - out now

Bunny's A Swine - Calling Out - out now

These are all high quality works and I recommend improving your summer road trips by buying all four of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment